• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Garth’s SKYBOLT 540

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GARTH

Registered Users
Reaction score
At age 18, after reading an article from a Sport Flying magazine (08/1979) that I had bought in a second hand book store in 1983, I decided to build a Steen Skybolt.* I was flipping burgers for Burger King and learning to fly at the time.* It wasn’t until a decade later that I had the time and the money to start building.

I ordered the plans in ‘93 and later that year a rather long box of steel tubing from Hale Wallace/Steen Aero lab, Marion NC.* I had read somewhere that the Skybolt was an excellent project for the first time builder using simple hand tools.* That was definitely a huge understatement.

I started the fuselage in a freind’s garage.* He was building a Glasair III.* He was also welding my fuselage and taught me how to weld.* I was building the wings in my basement.* I moved the project into a hangar that I had bought in ‘99.

I ran into many hurdles, sometimes putting the project aside for years out of frustration.* I never wanted to give up, though.

I’m hoping by starting a thread that I’ll be able to answer my many questions.

Latest posts

Back