• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Hatz questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I’m looking (again) at a Hatz CB-1 to replace my Starduster, which clearly isn’t going to be flying any time soon. I realize a Hatz will be much tamer than the Starduster, which could be both good and bad, I certainly learned last year about the downside of off-airport landings in the faster plane. And it would be nice to be able to take a passenger occasionally. 'Course I'll have to sell the Starduster project...

The particular one I’m looking at was built in 1990 with ~250TT and has a 1400 hour O-300 from a C-172 and wood prop. This plane was mentioned here some time ago, it’s the one that originally had motorcycle wheels and still has a short landing gear. The engine has exposed cylinders with Cub style eyebrows, I don’t know how cooling is in that configuration? It has a wind generator so no worries about needing ADSB or mode C.

The current owner says it climbs at 3-600 fpm, cruises at 80mph, and lands at 60. The cruise sounds about right for a Hatz, the climb sounds low for that engine (the Hatz was designed for considerably less HP, though at 950# empty it is about 100# over the design weight, gross is 1500). The landing speed seems high, though he says doesn’t know the actual stall speed since he never stalls it after a bad experience the first time he stalled it when the plane was grossly out of rig (since fixed) after reassembling it. How you can regularly fly a plane without being familiar with its stall behavior is beyond me, but that’s what he said. With the short gear I can see that it might touch down 3 point rather above stall, though I don’t know if he normally does 3 point or wheel landings.

Any thoughts or advice, things to look for/at?

Latest posts

Back