• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Help! buying my first pitts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitts156

Reaction score
Hello everyone;
After doing aerobatics and flying inverted in a cittabria and a super decathlon, i built up the courage to fly a pitts S2B and i am hooked! unfortunately i cannot afford an S2B so started looking for the next best thing, an S2A
Almost pulled the trigger on a 1982 S2E when my instructor warns me of the old fabric (original 1982 fabric) and although it looked magnificent, he warned me of fabric separation due to its age; i walked away

next week i am doing a pre-buy inspection on a 1974 S1S with an O360; fuselage and wings all stripped in 2004, inspected and recovered with ceconite and painted a beautiful red with sunburst white pattern(in a paint booth!), exactly what i wanted;
since its in the amateur built category a race engine workshop (for drag race cars) overhauled the engine and pickled it, its been sitting with the fuselage and wings apart in storage since 2004
i will have to trailer the plane to my a&p's hangar for assembly, the owner did not agree to run the engine at prebuy and said it will be a hassle since the tank is in the top wing;
my questions are;

should i be worried about an overhauled and pickled engine that has been sitting since 2004 ? will i need to replace the bendix mags? is a compression test enough to determine the health of the engine?

does a carburated engine with a pressure carb perform well with hard aerobatics ? (lots of snap rolls)

i know it has the solid crank flange but is the combination with a sensenich wooden prop good for aerobatics ?

it has an open cockpit which i am planning on enjoying for a while but when it comes time to build a canopy, how much will it run me ?

anything else i should worry about that might be affected by sitting for about 12 years ?

any input would be much appreciated
Moe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back