• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Help Locating S-1S from Adirondacks, NY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
Yesterday I met a friend in Glens Falls, NY and we flew up to a few grass strips about half an hour North of there. The first stop was 1NK6 in Cornwall, NY where we met another friend of ours. Unbeknownst to me, his dad (Jim Catalano) had helped a doctor build an S-1S back in the late 70's/80's, so I basically began interrogating him on the spot :). From the picture I was shown the airplane was primarily dark blue with yellow accents.

It sounded like they had an absolute blast with it, and apparently the doctor (I believe his first name started with an "R" and his last name started with an "H") ended up getting pretty involved in competition flying. Anyway, at some point the doctor got a divorce and the plane was temporarily disassembled, so Jim held onto it for him. He eventually picked it up, but that's where the story trails off. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I should also say that Jim Catalano is the editor and publisher of the International Fleet Club Newsletter, you can find them on www.fleet-club.com (you'll see photos of his beautifully restored fleet below, he even has skis for it!)

The second stop was North Creek, and for me it was a dreamland, full of awesome biplanes, so I figured I'd throw in some pictures of both stops to keep it interesting for you guys. After yesterday I'm desperate to get my Pitts in the air!

P.S. Can someone help me straighten out the sideways pictures?

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Latest posts

Back