• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Hinge Bracket Destruction Testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottly

Reaction score

In another thread, I detailed how I deviated from plans for my aileron hinge bracket. I decided to use a threaded rod bearing, which required me to use a different thickness tubing.

While making my hinges, there was one that was just not up my standards....it wasn't straight and just didn't look right. So, I decided to make another and use the crooked one to test my weld, and my whole product.Out came the hammer.....

As you can see, my welds are pretty good, if I do say so myself...

20071020_164138_hinge_destructi.jpg

So, I calmped it in a vice and started whacking it with a 48oz ball peen....and I bent it up good....

20071020_164248_hinge_destructi.jpg

Since nothing broke yet, I kept on hitting it until something DID break...

20071020_164350_hinge_destructi.jpg

WHat broke was the metal...the weld was still intact....Here's the opposite side of the above pic:

20071020_164442_hinge_destructi.jpg

You can see a nice tear in the metal, but still no weld breakage. I beat this thing more...until I bent it all the way around to the opposite side...

20071020_164604_hinge_destructi.jpg

And the only thing that gave on these was the base metal. remember, a 48oz hammer and enough wacks to tear down a brik wall and then some....no weld breakage. Here you can see the end result...a few more metal tears at the weld, but no weld breakage.

20071020_164759_hinge_destructi.jpg

I will be comfortable flying on my hinges, that's for sure.
My suggestion is that others test some metal parts int he same manner they test glue joints. It's just a little bit of peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back