• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

How much is Enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajunflyer

Reaction score

I have a Lycoming IO-540-G1-D5 for my Skybolt project that has about 200 hours SMOH (1200 total), but has been sitting unused for something like 20 years. It has been stored in a low humidity area (New Mexico). It is on a stand, and turns easilyas I found out when I picked it up a year ago. In fact, it still has oil in it, as I alsofound out after turning it.My question is this - how much "overhaul" does it need before I consider using it? After reading and talking to others, I'm thinking about getting a professional to inspect it as if it has had a prop strike. Is this enough, or should I be thinking full overhaul, or something else entirely? I would like to avoid replacing parts just for the joy of replacing them, but I'd rather do that that than have my 'bolt turn into a sailplane because of something I could have avoided.

Latest posts

Back