• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

How to fit 6' tall in a Pitts S1?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
What mods have been done to allow us taller pilots to fit into an S1? I'm only 6' (210lb) but mostly torso (72" tall but only 31" inseam). Yesterday I flew down to take a pre-buy look at N722DC (on barnstormers) and brought my new parachute, a Softie backpack, purchased and packed by Alan Silver himself, with the bulk at the bottom, i.e., for a Pitts. Sitting on the bare plywood seat pan, my head was barely more than finger-width from the canopy; with a headset, it was wedged (yes, that's right: my head was wedged ;-)

N722DC was plans built in '87, but the plans aren't avail, so who knows what they built. That seems late for a short fuselage, tho. I took a few measurements, which would be interesting to compare:
  • my butt-to-head, sitting upright against a wall: 38.5" (out of 72")
  • N722DC seat pan to top of turtledeck: 36"
  • N722DC canopy rail-to-rail width at seat back: 21"
  • N722DC seat back to control panel: 30"
  • N722DC seat back to horizontal stab: 41.5"

So, is N722DC just built small? Or am I gonna need a "special" Pitts Special? (For criminey sakes, since when is 6' tall "big and tall"?)

I do fit in both seats of S2C, but I'd really prefer an S1S - much cheaper to own and operate. But ya needs to be able to close da damn canopy! (And no, I don't think open cockpit is particularly practical here in the Pacific Northwest.)

-- jdm

Latest posts

Back