• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

I-Strut Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed T

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I'm starting to make the I-struts for my bolt and want to ask a few questions before I start. First, let me recount a conversation I had with Mac McKenzie a long time ago on this subject. His advice was to tack weld with the 1" square tubing bolted directly to the spars (no washers, and of course be careful not to burn anything). Small shrinkage during final welding could then becorrected with one large area washer between thesquare tubing and spar (eight places) so as to end up withproper dihedral and incidence. He went further to say that the finished airplane was likely to need some roll trim to fix heavy left wing. He suggested planning forthis by placing two washers under the sq tubing and right lower wing aft spar (one location only)when tacking the I-struts. The result would bea finished airplane that washed outa small amount of incidence (lower left wing outboard) but still had only one washer in each location to eliminate stacked washers. End of conversation with Mac.First I know there are many factors that can affect this, probably most important is how accurately the airplane is built and rigged. Has anybody experienced wing heaviness, and I assume the only place this makes any sense is in cruise? Is there any consenses that a properly built and riggedSkybolt (or any other biplane with a western engine and 0-0 thrust line) would tend to have a heavy wing? I have seen numerousbiplanes with either aileron tabs or stacked washers under the I-struts. Would this wing heaviness be a reaction to the torque produced by the engine or is it due to some other factor? Any opinions or advice from others with experience would be greatly appreciated. To all, thanks for a great forum. Happy Holidays!Best Regards--EdP.S. Not sure of correct place to post this question, so please feel free to move to another location if it fits there better.

Latest posts

Back