• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

IFR checkride complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
Well, a LONG story but finally done. It took me three instructors and two DPE's and three rides and I am finally done.

Short version:
1. A jackass for a DPE. The school has since stopped using him because he had quite the habit of failing people that he knew would just pay him again. Failed me on takeoff when on takeoff roll he told me the clouds were 200AGL and I did not abort. Up to that point the scenario was actual conditions (severe clear and NO wind from SFC to 4K) and we were taking off from an uncontrolled field in the middle of nowhere. We traditionally take of in VFR and call center at 1200AGL to get our clearance. Claimed I took off without a clearance...

2. New DPE discovered that my IFR Xcountry was logged incorrectly. Instead of three different TYPES of approaches, the logbook said RNAV 13, RNAV 15, RNAV 24 and VOR18.

2.1. The week before my checkride the plane I was using was crashed by a student. She decided that after a bounce, the correct course of action would be to push the plane back on the runway. I had two options:
1. Step up to the IFR GPS I had never used (KLN94) and the plane with an auto pilot I had never used.
2. Step down to a VOR/ILS with a VFR Garmin 396 (I owned a 196). I made the choice that stepping down would be easier than learning both the GPS and the auto pilot.... Bad choice. The DPE didn't let me use the VFR GPS even for situational awareness and I just screwed up my Non - Precision approach without radar vectors.

3. About a .7 total tach and about 0.4 actually flying and I am done.

Sheesh....

Latest posts

Back