• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Inadequate Skybolt Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4deuces

Registered Users
Reaction score
I continue to have poor braking power. I have difficulty holding the Skybolt during run-up while almost standing on thee brakes. I have a Cleveland reservoir type master cylinder (5/8" bore) which I believe are properly rigged. I have bled them several times (normal and reverse), new pads, changed rotor disc and did many breaking-in runs to no avail. The conclusion I have come to is that the original brake pedal design is the problem.
I searched the forum and cannot find any discussion of inadequate Skybolt brake design. There is no mechanical advantage from the design. In fact, there is there is a mechanical disadvantage. The brake pedal height(from its rotation axis) is about 3 inches but the arm from the brake pedal to the brake cylinder is 4 inches giving a mechanical advantage of 0.75. So no matter how much you push on the brake pedal you cannot achieve enough hydraulic pressure on the brake pads. I am about to shorten the brake arm about a 1.5 inches to give me a 2:1 mechanical advantage.
Am I barking up the wrong tree and is there any other options. I am also considering a kit that will result in a smaller bore and give an additional hydraulic advantage.

Latest posts

Back