• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

insurance sucks...Who has it and who don't?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I just gave up on insurance and decided to fly my birds without it. They will look for every reason under the sun not to pay when something happens. I know someone who pays a huge amount a year for insurance on a Pitts. It was over $4000 per year starting and its still $3000 plus per year. Well the canopy came off on the runway and damaged fabric on the wing and tail. So as written in the policy there is a $5000 deductible for the canopy. Ok the canopy is $5000 so they pay nothing. Now as for getting the rest of the airplane repaired where the canopy banged it up. Well that is another $2500 deductible for that part of it. So the total deductible is $7500. You can pay less than that to get the damn plane repaired out of pocket. So insurance pays NOTHING.....
This pissed me off pretty bad and its not even my airplane. I am with the same company on my Eagle and decided to cancel my policy. I am paying close to $2500 a year for $100,000 hull on the Eagle. Man, that's $10,000 in 4 years... Huge amount of money. I made the decision to just go fly and if something happens I will just deal with it.
Everyone knows that almost every biplane, Decathlon etc is over gross with a passenger and chutes on. There is no way around it. People can try to cover this up but I have owned a bunch of acro planes and they were all over gross with someone in the front seat. Unless my 60 pound son is up there.
Now you have a landing accident with a passenger. Guess what if the insurance does the math and you were over gross they will not pay. I promise that. Just don't see how all these acro trainers get away with it?
I am curious how many people fly these airplanes insured vs uninsured?
I came from racing before aviation and had a ton in my racecars and you just don't insure a racecar. I took a chance of loosing everything invested each time I went down the dragstrip. I guess I am kinda in the same frame of mind now in a plane. In the past 8 years I have paid over $20,000 in aviation insurance. I think I am done. I would like to see that $20,000 in my bank and not my insurance guys pocket..... Ok rag my ass :)

Latest posts

Back