• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Introduction and some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrinker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to introduce myself as a new Acrosport owner, and maybe ask a few questions.

I'm 48 years old, and back when I was a teenager helped my grandfather build an Acro II. And by helped I mean I helped him build jigs, rig some tubing, built a few wing ribs, and so on. Not any "real" building. I think the build took him 5-6 years. He finished it, taxi tested it, and never flew it (lost medical).

Fast forward to a few years back, and I decided to find his plane. Wrote the current owner a letter, and we started up a conversation over mail/email. He continually invited me to come visit which I eventually did, and flew in it with him. One of the best days of my life. I told him, if you ever want to sell it, you let me know. He always told me that when he was done with it, he would let me know.

I started PPL training soon after that visit, and will be taking my check ride this October. A few weeks ago he told me he's done and will be passing it on to me.

So, I will be the proud new owner of the very Acro that I helped my (now deceased) grandfather build.

I have a nice dry, paved floor, T-hangar rented at a local airport. The plane will be shipped (flatbed) from Michigan to me here in upstate NY (Marcellus Airport) in a few weeks. The prior owner has given me a list of things that need to be done while it's apart before I fly it again. And I don't have any tailwheel time yet anyway, so I will be doing the work over the winter/spring and have lots of time before it has to be back in the air.

A couple basic questions:

1) I plan to "pickle" the engine since it will likely not run for 6+ months. I have the Lycoming procedure, and will buy the appropriate stuff. Anything extra to know here? Since the gas is already drained, can I just change the oil to the special oil, crank it over for a minute or two, and put the desiccant plugs in? Or do I have to actually run it up to temp?

2) The wiring really needs to be replaced, so I plan to re-do all of it. I will get help here, but there's not much electric in it.

3) The belly fabric is getting pretty bad. Was I believe Stitts through the grey coat, then dupont Imron. Thats the problem, paint cracking. Wings are not bad, mainly the fuselage. I plan to strip it, do any maintenance (wiring, checking all rod ends/push pulls/cables, etc) and then recover. Looking at Stewarts system or polyfiber. Considering Oratex too. Wings for a different year probably.

So - any suggestions and advice for all of the above would be greatly appreciated.

My immediate questions are:
- I don't have the plans anymore. Any way I can get a set? I have the serial and original builder info.
- Best way to store the wings while off the plane - thinking of building a rack. Want to be sure to avoid any possible rodent issues.
- Other storage/winter advice

Thanks and looking forward to learning a lot! (Have joined two local EAA chapters)

(Edit: can anyone fix my title, I misspelled Introduction... Ugh.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back