• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

IO-550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron2PG

Reaction score
May sound like a stupid question but hey I'm new here so cut me some slack.

Can you put a Continental IO-550 in a Skybolt? The IO-550 is a fuel injected 300hp engine similar in size to the Lyc IO-540.

Here is the reason. My Baron obviously has two IO-550 engines. My propsare due for O/H and I was considering installing new scimitar props which cost just a couple bucks more then the o/h; thus I'll have two "old" but decent 3-blade IO-550 props. One of my engines has reached TBO but is still running strong and probably has hundreds of hours left on it before IRAN overhaul; this could mean several years of Skybolt flying. The Baron is owned by my business; thus purchasing a new or 0-time rebuilt engine can be written off under the new accelerated depreciation rule.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back