• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Laminated vs. pure wood spars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btro0515

Reaction score
Hello again.
I have been blown away by the overall quality that appears to be the raven SS wings. However, while making my ribs, I am having to use the factory s-1s airfoil, making my spars slightly smaller than the raven version. Since raven only sells their plans formatted to their kit, it would seem as though i will still have to use the factory airfoil. So, knowing Steen sells a laminated spar, i was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the pros and cons going this route. (with the idea here being that I could potentially take raven's design and incorporate it into the factory version/steen version). I would think the laminated spars could come close in strength to the thicker raven style spars....but i am far from being any sort of expert here!

Latest posts

Back