• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Landing Gear Truss and Empennage Hinges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wandersen

Reaction score

Here is progress on the Skybolt this weekend. I was going to lay out the horizontal stabilizer, but discovered I was short about 50 feet of tubing. Oh well. Lots of other things to do.

Below is a picture - empennage hinges and landing gear truss.

The tubing coping calculator was very helpful in laying out the acute angles on the large diameter tubing.

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

I have a Acu-Jigger coming from ACS sometime this week or next. In the mean time, I'm getting pretty good with the hand held 4 1/2" grinder, bench grinder, and sandpaper on a tube chucked in the mini-lathe.

I used a jig for the truss just like the one shown on Al Rice's site.

For whatever reason, it took me 4 tries to get the jig cut and drilled just right.

Ward

20120304_210601_Landing_Gear_Tr.jpg

Edited by: wandersen

Latest posts

Back