• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Lang D-501A Tailwheel Installation Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Lang D-501A for my S1-T.

A few Forum members seem to prefer to have almost no tension (or better no compression) in the lateral springs when the wheel is straight. With my current OEM tailwheel this would not be possible, because it would cause a lot of shimmy. Could the users of the Lang D-501A tailwheel confirm that with this tailwheel it is preferable to have the lengths of the chain adjusted in such a way that there is almost no tension in the springs when the wheel is straight?

How tight should the bolt connecting the tailwheel to the leaf spring be torqued? If it is torqued too tight, it may not be possible for the two leaves to slide one in relation to the other, even if the elongated hole in one the leaf seems to be intended to make the leaf relative motion possible.

Is there any other issue we may get into when installing the Lang tailwheel?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back