• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

leak down testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question has been in the back of my mind for several years. I cannot wait any longer for someone else to ask it . . .
I am an auto engine guy just learning about air cooled engines. I have never seen any air cooled engine info that included numbers for a “leak-down” test. They all show compression test averages per cylinder to indicate the health of the engine.
In my “liquid cooled” world a compression check was used when no compressed air was available. If a problem is suspected a quick compression check is used to help decide it the engine needs to be opened up for investigation.
To me a “leak-down” test is a better indicator of the health of the engine and identifying trouble spots like worn rings or bent, burned or leaky valves, etc.
Question - why is leak-down testing not used on aircraft engines ?
Thank you for the enlightenment :)

Latest posts

Back