• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Light biplane design inspiration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Registered Users
Reaction score
<DIV =smallfont>OK, I'm kicking around another design idea, this one for a light, low-powered, two-seat biplane to fit European microlight standards (450 kg/992 lb gross weight, 65 kph/40 mph/35 kt landing speed).

I am thinking wood/fabric wings and tail, wood/plywood or aluminum tube/fabric fuselage, aluminum fittings. I want four-stroke power on a budget, so that means VW direct drive, say 1835 cc at a minimum, 2180 cc if need be. I realize that that is limited power, so we are talking about generous wing area, an empty weight around 500 lbs and very modest performance expectations, say 35 mph stall, 70-80 mph cruise, and it won't see 100 mph without a tailwind.

I am not necessarily looking to make a replica, and at the scale and power I have in mind a replica might be a little cartoonish, but I am looking for inspiration. As I am fond of old British designs, two come to mind right away: the original de Havilland DH.60 Moth and the DH.87 Hornet Moth.

I am looking for more inspiration, preferably designs that were relatively low-powered to begin with. Any ideas?
<DIV =smallfont>
<DIV =smallfont>
20100802_051249_dh60moth.jpg

<DIV =smallfont>
20100802_051223_dh87hornetmoth.jpg

Latest posts

Back