• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Lightweight Pitts Project?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pylon80

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been thinking of building my own Pitts S1 for quite a while and after doing a bit of research, I am thinking of building a very light Pitts S1C with a small engine (o-200 or Lyc. 235). Aerobatics with a lower cost of operation and possibly slower landing speed / slightly easier landings are the goal.

Also, I am fully aware of the availability of many great S1's ready to fly on the used market...but I want to build something.

I believe only the (older) short version of the S1C fuselage will allow me to balance the aircraft properly with such a small engine. I am 5'10. Steen claim they have the "original drawings from Curtis Pitts" with the S1C short fuselage. I was wondering if anyone had any opinion regarding this set of plan.

As for the engine, I intend to upgrade it gradually with FI conversion and inverted oil. Of course, I will have to install a carb heat system at the beginning if I don't have the FI conversion. I'd rather spread the expense and complexity over the course of a few years.

Any hints regarding this project are welcomed. Thanks!

Marc

Latest posts

Back