• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Little Scrapper build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Scrapper

Cassutt freak
Reaction score
This is a thread that documents the build of a Baby Great Lakes biplane. To get a better understanding of "what", "why" and "how" here's a link to my introduction post where I explained all that.

http://www.biplaneforum.com/f9/baby-great-lakes-builder-unique-challenge-7489/

So I started my airplane fund with $591 and stuffed it into the Mason jar. Not a single penny came from my pocket. Here is how I ended up with the money........

I knew I needed a decent chunk to start with so I went through my personal garage as well as my service truck. What I found in the garage was all sorts of steel and a little aluminum. From my truck came a whole bunch of copper and brass, I basically cleaned out every piece of scrap I had. I officially have ZERO scrap metal left to my name.

Next, I went to Moms house and asked her if she wanted me to clean up the crap behind the shed. I told her of my intentions and she said "if you move it you can have it". (I felt like a little kid again). :D

At my Moms I found 3 seized and rusted inline 6 cylinder engines and 2 transmissions from the 40's. I also found about a 100 lbs of miscellaneous rusted metal.

With everything I ended up with $591.

The cost for the prints/plans I decided not to deduct. I originally bought them in September of 2005 so I figured I already owned them and it's been long enough where it didn't really matter.

What I did do was order 200' of 1/4" x 1/4" capstrip & 1/8" mahogany plywood & 1/4" mahogany plywood from Aircraft Spruce. The total was around $129 without shipping and since it hasn't shipped yet I can't deduct it from the total until I get the actual bill.

Mike

Latest posts

Back