• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Lunkenheimer primer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
50932FB0-89B8-49C9-B211-66F75BE93E8E.jpeg

I installed an ancient Lunkenheimer primer in my 1930 Waco. I'm regretting it now. I have a couple of them. They are both fantastic at leaking fuel on your ankles.

These primers don't have O rings, but instead have packing under the front nut. I replaced the packing material and it seems like that works well for the plunger and main body tube. I suppose because the plunger is not well sealed, a petcock is attached above. I'm having trouble with fuel leaking at this petcock.

The Valve is brass on brass with a tapered plug thru the center, secured with a spring and pin. I can see and feel scoring on the tapered plug and the inside face of the body. That seems to be the source of the leak.

I'm sure this was probably a routine issue when lots of these were in use. I'm guessing there are guys here that have rebuilt a few. I may go ahead and install a slightly bigger and newer version that is more modern, but since I have my panel all set up with this and the lines run maybe one more shot at fixing this. I thought I'd throw it up here for ideas so I'm not reinventing the wheel.

I was thinking valve grinding compound might work to renew the fit of the valve. I also was looking at just replacing the petcock. It looks like I can buy a similar Lunkenheimer petcock but it isn't set up with the attachment for the arm. Maybe it would work ok to braze the handle onto a NOS petcock valve? I have some photos on another device, I'll add soon.

Thanks,
Dan.

0BBE06CC-D8F0-4FB4-8C37-32DB933F429A.jpeg
86D71219-54B3-44DF-9DE8-83241758F1E0.jpeg
0BBE06CC-D8F0-4FB4-8C37-32DB933F429A.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back