• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Market for lower powered, single seat Pitts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and looking to buy a single seat Pitts and wanted to get some opinions and advice.
....and have my thinking on the subject "checked" as there are likely things I don't even realize I don't know.

As cost is an issue and I'm not what anyone would consider a hard core aerobatic type and won't be competing, I think something like a S-1C with a smaller engine (less than 180HP) would be more than enough for me. There seems to be many higher performing S-1's out there with 180HP or more but there's also a cost associated with having that engine on the airframe, right?. Not to mention that these "other S-1's" perform better with their different airfoils and four ailerons vs. the two ailerons on the C model
So, I'm seeing S-1C's out there with O-320's and even a couple w/ O-290's. All things being equal should you see a price reduction with C models that have these smaller engines vs. a 180HP? And then for re-sale, is there a market for a S-1C with say a O-290 making 135HP? Or would the demand for a lower powered Pitts make it difficult for me to sell in the future?

And BTW, I don't have a lot of Pitts experience. Miscellaneous flights with friends here and there and then a 10 session course in a S-2C that was focused almost exclusively on recovery from the variety of upright and inverted spins and then of course, many landings. I would definitely need to get into the front seat of a S-2 to get tuned up for the S-1 and then take it very easy after that.

Thanks very much for any input you can provide!

Latest posts

Back