• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Mating Wings to Fuselage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolter

Reaction score
All,
To bring you up to speed, I recently purchased a project that was a welded fuselage and wings pretty far along. After inspection, I determined the workmanship on the wings was pretty shoddy. Perhaps I should say some of the work was shoddy, other parts were awesome which makes me think the wings were built by at least two people along the way...
Anyhow, I have found a set of wings that are also pretty far along. I have taken measurements of the attach fittings which are welded on the fuselage and of the spar stub dimensions. What I have determined is the wings won't easily slide into my brackets...around 1/16" interference at the rear of the aft spar, both sides of the aircraft. I am not keen on the idea of cutting off the attach brackets and re-welding to fit the current wings. Would it be acceptable to remove the steel spar stub plates and plane the spar stub down slightly for a fit?
The next question is what to do if upon installation, the current placement does not result in proper wing rake and incidence. Could I make new spar stub plates and back-drill to fit my fuselage? I would likely have to fill in the existing attachment hole currently drilled through the spar. Any mitigation ideas?

Latest posts

Back