• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Maule TW normal behavior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acromaniac

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Aloha Forum,

I have read all of the old threads on tailwheels and have learned a lot but I find myself still needing help. I have about 25 landings, all on pavement, on my recently aquired, solid wheel equipped S1S. Taxi speed control is normal and responsive, but I find that it takes maximum concentration to maintain directional control on rollout. I seem to have yaw PIO's with what feels like extremely small rudder inputs. There also has been a lot of shimmy.

After reading the old threads, I have tried a looser spring adjustment with a seemingly small benefit. I also noticed some slop in the fork / oilite bushing area. I rebuilt It with a new bushing and a new tire in case that was the issue. In 2 landings since the rebuild, the shimmy is still there.

I got about 50 landings in an S2B with Ken Erickson and felt very comfortable before transitioning. Sorry for the long post. I will try to narrow it down to a cpl questions....

1. Is this normal behavior of this TW / aircraft combo on pavement?
2. Are my directional control issues just normal transition to S1S? (2000 hr TW)
3. Should I be looking for problems with TW itself or gear geometry?

Thank You,
Jim

Latest posts

Back