• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Metal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have the drawings for S1-11B and I am trying to do the lower wings. My experience with metal designations is limitedbut developing.

The drawings often seem to call out aluminum that doesnt exist. I dont know if time has just changed what metals you use or that I have not found the proper source.

For example:
The drawings calls for angle aluminum 6061-T4 0.062, 0.75 by 1.10. When I search I find that T4 is not available but T6 is orI find wide enough but onlywhen thicker (1/8 inch). Ihave found1 inch angle when 0.062 T6 but that violates the hole to edge distance guidelines. I am sure the drawing wants angle because it does not specifiy a plate and then bending radius. I have found that T6 is astronger temper than T4 but is there a tradeoff by going to stronger or thicker metal? Has T6 simply become more common due to increased strength for little additional cost? Since it is a wing maybe some flex at the root rib is desirable so stronger is detrimental?

Is there a guideline for substitution when the specified appears to be non-procurable?

Latest posts

Back