• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Mixture Setting for Full Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am putting this thread under Aerobatics because I know that we tend to be more willing to push our engines. A sane biplane pilot would be much more likely answer whatever is most conservative just as they would a question about redline. I am looking for responses from the less sane.

What mixture setting are you using for full power? Here is why I ask: My Pitts is the only piston/non-constant speed engine I have flown since the '90s. The first day with it I noticed that I was getting lackluster takeoff performance with full mixture. So I leaned it back about 3/4 inch and enjoyed an additional 100 RPM at 100 MPH and much stronger performance. I thought that this was just a unique thing with my aging motor. But now I have a new motor with a newly overhauled fuel servo. Since the engine is new and I wanted to keep the CHT down I only briefly leaned it before returning to full rich for the initial climb. But the result was the same (100 additional RPM) with full rich a disappointment.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back