• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

My new favorite tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajunflyer

Reaction score
I may be the last guy to figure this out, but it works so well I'm posting it anyway.

After hacking and slashing at 4130 plate for a while, I had an inspiration. I took the bearing guard off of my porta-band and mounted it to a 12x12x1/4 steel sheet. I then took this "big guard" and mounted it on some scrap 2x4s and plywood to make my own poor man's vertical band saw.

Final step - I cable tied the trigger closed and I'm using a multi-outlet strip's on/off switch for control.

It does have one big limitation - only cut 4 1/2" deep - but I was able to rough cut all of the upper wing fittings on my Skybolt D ( and there are a bunch) in about an hour.

Here's a couple of pictures of the new saw:
20110414_193835_detail_600.jpg

20110414_193747_bandsaw_600.jpg

Latest posts

Back