• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

My Starduster project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie L.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A while back, I had found this nicely started project for sale and the quality of the work along with the all but in my backyard location of it made me take a long moment to ponder it, and then say “ok, here we go again”.
I’ve been involved with the restoration of multiple aircraft over the years, but most of my aviation experience is in the left seat, not on the shop floor.
However, I’ve restored multiple mid 1950s Fords, and was a very avid RC builder and crashed as a young lad, so I decided to jump in and see what I can do.
The workmanship is amazing, and from all I can see this seems to be a rather long time project that has simply lingered through multiple owners, to the point where it has long since reached a state of “forever project”.
Mr Baxter has reviewed the pics I sent him and is of the opinion that it’s based upon the original plans as originally issued, with the possibility of slightly longer main gear legs, perhaps for the installation of a round engine.
The present mount is for a 4 cylinder Lyc, which to me, is unacceptable. If not a round engine, it’ll have an IO-470 Out of a 310.
I’m still in the “sorting it all out, but we have a partial set of plans, most if not all of the airframe parts, a complete new blown canopy (which I’ll move on to a needful buyer), and a couple partially built curved windscreens, which will be disposed of in an appropriate manner. The only decision I’ve made so far is to go with 3 piece windscreens. Why? Because I can. And I love the look.
I’d also like to reduce the size of the headrest fairing to more of a late 20s look, and not fair in the vertical fin. That may not be something I’ll think as smart this far along, but it’s a hare brained idea after seeing a Hatz modified that way.
My ultimate engine would be a Super Scarab, although the Verner 9 seems a worthy substitute, but for ease and economy, the IO-470 makes the most sense. Doing so would help me quickly reject the turtleneck mod idea.
Just looking for a fun in the sun hamburger getter and fly-in-mobile to help in the proliferation of Texas Tall Tales
This’ll be a slow starter. First major course of business is to drop a plumb bob and see where the gear sits, second will be to strip off the rather crude aluminum center section sheeting and redo it with preformed plywood. Sheet aluminum on wings belongs on a spam can, not a classic biplane.

Attachments

• IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3533.jpeg
    IMG_3533.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg