• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Narrow Deck Lycoming for Aerobatics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmross

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am seeking opinions regarding the suitability of the narrow deck O-360 for use in aerobatic aircraft. I currently own a One Design with a 180 hp narrow deck O-360-A1A and a fixed pitch prop. I am considering some repairs (and perhaps upgrades) to this engine, but I don't want to "invest" much money if the engine design is not really suitable for long-term aerobatic use. In other words, I would like to know if the narrow deck engine design is generally able to withstand the various stresses imposed by aerobatics, or if I might be better off spending my money on a wide-deck engine conversion sometime in the future.

Any thought or comments would be appreciated. I am actually perfectly happy with my existing narrow deck package, but I thought that some of you folks might have personal experience with operating these engines under aerobatic conditions.

Thank you!

Rick

Latest posts

Back