• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Need advice from a Machinist, which reamer(s) for task.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
A1298A77-0FD4-4B2D-AFFB-874C3E0BC44F.jpeg
B776F6F4-B404-4245-A149-01255F00FEFD.jpeg
Hello guys,

I am getting ready to mount the engine on my restoration. Last week I removed the engine from the mount I've had it attached to and got a little surprise. The accessory case had bushings inserted in the holes used for mounting the engine. The case has 5/16" holes reduced with bushings to 1/4". This was for a different aircraft and I need to return to the normal spec. The bushings are just about 1.1" long.

To ward off a lot of distractions, I've looked at other options from driving the bushings out, making a puller, etc. I think any of that would be ok on the bench, but with the cast accessory case installed I think the safest way is going to be to carefully ream the ID of the bushings. I imagine they will collapse under compression onto the reamer and come out ok.

I'd like some suggestion from an experienced machinist among us to suggest what type of reamers I should buy. There are 10 bushings total to remove. I'm considering a pair of two adjustable reamers to slowly increase the ID from 1/4 to nearly 5/16.

pictures follow

Dan

Latest posts

Back