• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New from East Texas!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm a new official member of the forums, but I've being reading posts (as much as I could as a non-member) for several years now. I have been looking at biplanes for a couple of years and my interest has grown over that time. My previous planes were a C-172C, Apache, Cessna 320, Comanche 250, Stinson 108-2, and now back to a C-172E for the last 4 years. The Stinson really was my baby and I loved that plane! I sold it however because my son showed an interest in becoming a pilot. The plan was I'd get my CFI and CFII and work with him in the 172. Well as things tend to happen....he lost interest....and therefor so did I!! My current 172 is a very nice plane....looks good and runs well.....but boy oh boy.....it's just not "fun" for me. I've flown maybe 30-40 hours this year and that's a new low for me.

So I thought about buying a biplane. I am a "hefty" guy....250 pounds, 5'-11" so not just any biplane will work for me assuming I'm going to want to carry a passenger from time to time. I've been looking at Starduster Too's, one in particular with a IO-540 and a CS prop. Honestly though I don't know the first thing about flying biplanes. Okay I've got like 4 hours in a Stearman, but that was 20 years ago! That being said I have a couple of hundred hours tailwheel and 4k total.

Basically I want something that will carry me and stay within C/G and something capable of light acro. Doing research on the Starduster Too, especailly with the 200+hp engine options, I think it would work.

Are there any other planes ya'll would recommend? Nothing too squirly on the ground, good flying traits, and able to do light acro? Oh and the budget (currently) is about $50k.

If anyone out there has a Starduster Too (or any other suitable biplane) within 200 miles +/- of Tyler, Texas and would be willing to take me for a ride in exchange for gas money and lunch, please feel free to reach out!

Thanks,

Jerrid

Latest posts

Back