• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New Member Intro - Need Some Direction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborne

Reaction score

Hi all, my name is Sean and I would like to build a Pitts. I don't know any other way to say it.

I have been religiously going to airshows since I was 5 years old and aviation has shaped my life. I am now in my mid 20s working as a Mechanical/Aero Engineer and find myself in a position to finally be able to build an airplane. I have always had a desire to build an aircraft (as well as an EAA membership I've sat on for many years) and have viewed each passing year when I was unable to do so as a lost year of build time. With some help, I think I am ready to begin.

I've somewhat re-evaluated what I want out ofa homebuiltand what I think I can realistically afford. I figured if I am going to dedicate such a large portion of my time, it better be to something with enough performance to satisfy me for a long period of ownership and allow me progress in aerobatic competition. I am pretty much narrowed down to doing a S-1-11b or a Raven 2XS. The seeming lack of support for the S-1-11b worries me and the cost of the 2XS is little bit much to swallow.I alsofear that ifI go with the 11b that I will regret not having the second hole to bring a passenger every so often. Is rebuilding an S2C a hard project to come by?I've read about it being done on S2Bs, but I'm thinking I might eventuallyfind myself wanting something with more performance.

Well by now I must sound confused, and maybe I am. At least in the end I know I want to build a biplane, and at that, the granddaddy of them all, a Pitts. In my motorsports hobbying, I have always gone with the machine with the most soul, not nessecarily the most performance, but I think I can find both in a Pitts.

Any direction/words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back