• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New member/intro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a set of Skybolt plans for Christmas. I'm currently 70% done scratch building a hummelbird. I recently welded up my landing gear and decided I like welding. I always wanted to scratch-build a 2-hole pitts S2E, but I've found out that you can't get plans for one. I figure by the time I finish the hummelbird, and finish the skybolt, that the skybolt may well be a better choice for me than the pitts. I did about 10 hours of acro training in an S2A and enjoyed it, though it was years ago.

I learned to fly back in 1990 in a 1946 PA12. At MMK where I was based there was a really nice Skybolt build by a dentist out of Cheshire, CT.

Partly I joined the forum early to learn about the options. If I was to choose today I would go for the 0-360 and the closed canopy. I'm not sure about the other options, the two piece upper wing seems interesting. But I'm here to learn, I have time before I start on the project, like at least a couple of years.

I tow gliders with PA25's and I fly gliders too. Plus I'm in a C140 club, and I'm working on my instrument ticket in a PA28R. Not very biplane-y, but I like to be well rounded. I can always rent something like an arrow or a cessna, and lots of opportunity to tow, but it's hard to get into a 2-hole acrobatic biplane. That is part of my reason to build. Plus, I like to build.

-- Bryan Cotton
www.eaa533.org
www.harrishillsoaring.org
www.sikorsky.com
www.sacusa.com
N72362
N2895H

Latest posts

Back