• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New / Old Member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello To All,
I was one of the original members of the Forum but dropped out due to health reasons for several years. The membership has grown considerably since I've been gone so I thought I would "re-introduce" myself.
I am 69 yrs. old and live in Michigan. I am not an expert in anything aviation, building or flying, but I have been involved for awhile. I built my first V-8 SkyBolt in the late 70's and a couple more in the 80's and worked for George Morse as plant manager building the Prowler aircraft in California. I also helped Beej write the SkyBolt builders manual in a effort to entice more potential builders to make the "big" commitment to build an aircraft. From the looks of the membership numbers we succeeded :))))
A couple years ago I got back into flying gliders and powered gliders and thought that was as far as I would go but a few months ago Beej called me and got me interested in building again. I decided to finish the Acro Sport 1 setting in my basement.
As you old members remember I was an alternative power plant user - Buick 215 cid, chevy 350 cid and originally had a rotary engine for the Acro Sport but have since sold it.
In my old age and increasing wisdom I have decided to install a Lyc. in the Acro Sport. My problem - I know very little about air cooled engines :((
I can build the Acro Sport to comply with the sport pilot rules using an O-320 engine. I printed out the list of engine designations for the O-320 - - - 3 pages long :((((
I looked at the engine list on Barnstormers and just confused myself more. I cannot afford a new engine - - I desperately need advice. . . . . I welcome all opinions;
Which engine designations are suitable for limited - sportsman - acro?
Should I look for an engine with a few 100 hrs. left on it?
Should I look for a runout and rebuild it or trade for factory remanufactured?
What do I look for in a used engine?
What do I stay away from?

Thank you very much for your thoughts, good to be back here :))
Randy

P.S. Anyone who posts a reply here will go on my list to answer my dumb questions in the future . . .

Latest posts

Back