• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New/Old S1C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkelbach

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have acquired an S1C from an estate. The original builder died before being able to fly it. It appears to be very close to completion. The biggest problem is that it has been sitting in SE Texas for a very long time.

The project was started from what appear to be an original set of plans in 1969. There is also another set of plans dated 1972 that appear to be what the fuselage was built from (elevator hinges match the later set) The wings were stored indoors in the family home until the early-mid 90s when they were moved into the hangar that we removed them from two days ago. The fuselage has been inside that hangar since then as well.

The builder was obviously a very meticulous person. Everyone that knew him agrees with the last sentence. The workmanship that I can see is superb. I haven't measured anything yet but I'm sure that once I do I'll be impressed.

The engine will have to be rebuilt (IO-320-C1A) and I've found enough surface corrosion on the fuselage parts that I can see, that I intend to remove the fabric (which is a shame because it's beautiful) and inspect, repair if necessary and touch up the primer. Depending on what I find I may blast the fuse and re-prime.

The wings are wrapped in the family bed sheets (very meticulously) and I haven't uncovered them yet to take a close look. The rod ends are seized up on the lower wings but the ailerons seem to move freely when I move the rod.

I'm looking for advice from the group on what to do to get this thing flying. Do I need to take the fabric off of the wings? Can I do a sufficient job of inspecting the wings with a scope? I have zero experience with wood structures, let alone ones that are older than I am. If I have to rebuild the wings, so-be-it, but my guess is that they are fine. I need to convert that guess into certainty before pulling any G's.

Are there any other issues I should watch out for? A Pitts was on my bucket list but this accelerated the timeline quite a bit.

Phil

Latest posts

Back