• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New Proud Skybolt Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm now the proud owner of N81962, a 1990 Steen Skybolt that was previously living in Gallatin, TN. The aircraft is powered by an O-360A1D engine with a Hartzell constant speed prop, Bendix RSA5 fuel injection, and inverted oil. The airframe was overhauled in 1999 by a Stearman builder: tubes blasted and primed, wood revarnished, rewired, new metal fittings, new taller Skybolt gear, new aluminum panels, new instrument panels, new windshields and fairings, new-plan-design aileron slate struts, recovered in Ceconite and repainted. The aircraft is in beautiful condition and flew straight and fast (once I replaced the failing spark plugs :p).

I logged my first-ever 18 hours in a Skybolt flying it back to San Diego with my tailwheel instructor. Between the two of us we figured out how to land the thing, though we're still fine-tuning this. The landings are a lot noisier and busier than the Citabria in which I trained (I wonder why?). Love the big rudder though...

It was awfully fun to attract attention at every fuel stop we made on the trip back. This is a wonderful plane and I'm looking foward to many hours of enjoyable flying (and acro!) in the future...

Colleen

20091002_152624_IMG_0806.jpg
Edited by: CKeller

Latest posts

Back