• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New to me Acro II - first looks and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrinker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the new (to me) Acro II in the hanger over the weekend. Finally had a few minutes to go over and start looking her over. Definitely going to need some work.

Pics will be attached below, but here's the list so far:

- Belly fabric is shot. Well, the paint is SHOT, as in peeing/has peeled off in large chunks. Lots of tape, krylon, etc. on there as band-aids. Its much worse than 3 years ago when I last saw it.
- Some corrosion on two of the lower wind attach fittings (on fuse). Nothing super serious, but definitely going to need to do some overall corrosion cleanup and repainting of anything I can access.
- Wiring is corroded and probably looking at a complete rewire job.
- Has some old INOP fuel totalizer that is no longer supported (company gone). Will be removing that.
- Some gauges/instruments have seen better days. Compass esp.
- Rear seat needs something for a back, of some kind.
- Fabric on movable rudder bottom is loose, and looks to have been this way a long time.
- Engine (IO-360-B1F) is in good shape, up to date, and only 582hrs since full rebuild at PennYan. Prop is also in good shape and up to date.
- Nose Bowl is not in great shape. Where can I get a new one? Its been repaired a number of times in the thin area in back of the prop and is on it's last legs.
- Wings are in good shape, with only some very minor paint cracks. No delam at all showing.

My thoughts:

I had thought "Get her back together and get flying by mid summer, doing as little as possible". Now that I've seen it I think "Well, this is a bigger job. Probably have to do fabric on the fuse. Maybe a good time to hit a lot of this other stuff on the fuselage.

Not sure if it's too big a job to take on, but thinking:

- Pull all the aluminum off the fuse and see what else might need attention. At a minimum the belly fabric has to be replaced. Might as well do the whole fuse and tail at that point.
- What method is best to clean and repaint the exposed fuselage tubing while I have it tore down? I'm thinking maybe dry ice blasting?
- Thinking Stewarts System for recover. Paint too.
- Full rewire, wiring is pretty bad.
- Maybe consider going with something like the Dynon FlightDEK-D180 to replace most of the engine and some of the existing steam gauges.
- If I go that route, and maybe even if not, thinking at least cut a new panel even if I reuse some of the existing instruments.

Or I could be totally getting ahead of myself. Talk me down...

-Jeff

OK too many pics to upload - here's a google pics shared folder of them. Take a look and let me know what you all think :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B2d16ZG52ID2gxiC2

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back