• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New UK Skybolt Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketetlow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I too am new to the Skybolt having just bought a 5 year old UK built example with 80 hours on it - (There are only 15 in the UK). I am in the RAF having flown the F4 Phantom for 5 years in the 80s and Tornado F3 for 2500 hrs until we scrapped them all in 2009. I co-own with a Tornado GR4 colleague and we both fly Air Cadets at the weekends in the Grob Tutor.

Having turned ours upside down a lot in the first exuberance of new ownership I manged to suck debris from the tank into a fuel injector and ended up flying home on 3 cylinders. I then landed on a rough grass strip and bent the single leaf tail wheel spring and dinked the rudder - not my best day!!. Had all that fixed and just fitted a bespoke 3 leaf spring as I couldn't find one off the shelf that would fit. I am about to fly it again, but slightly concerned that as I think I have a standard length main gear, the prop to ground clearance is a lot less. Should I worry about that? On the other hand, the old spring was just not up to the job so I don't think I had much choice. I attach some photos of the current configuration.

I appreciate any tips and hints for a Skybolt newbie in a country with very few fellow users.

Mike Tetlow

Skybolt- New Tail Wheel 1.JPG

Skybolt- New Tail Wheel 2.JPG

Skybolt- New Tail Wheel 3JPG.JPG

Latest posts

Back