• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

notcher cutters ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairchild

Reaction score

experimented with notching using lenox hole saw in lathe and cr-mo tube
held in tool post. Lite threading oil. Tightened the lathe bed gibs so the cutter couldn't pull into the work on its own. It worked pretty well except
i noticed that the hole saws are out of round ! Well isnt that some crap !
I have looked arround for something better. I found something in the big
MSC catalog. It is some type of cored cutter. Like a hole saw but made
of solid steel with a center hole. looks like a pretty thick wall- maybe
3/16 from the picture. anyone tried this ?
(The lenox hole saws have welded sheet metal bodys and I doubt that they will ever be "round" using that type construction.) Have not tried
milling cutters or reamers yet.

Any thoughts ?

Latest posts

Back