• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Oh, oil pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I took the day off work today to take advantage of the gorgeous early fall weather, and of course the oil pressure gauge never shifted when I started the engine (a C90) on my Champ. Normally, it stays glued to the 0 position for about 15-20 seconds, then pops suddenly up to 30 PSI, then it never budges until shutdown.

Started and ran for 30 seconds, twice, with a couple dozen blades by hand inbetween, but it never shifted. Cranked the starter with the oil pressure line (pulled off the engine side of the firewall passthrough fitting) diverted into a container to see if I could get any oil out of it; nothing. Looks like there's either a blockage at the crankcase opening (which would be surprising given that I'm running with a filter now), or the pump wasn't doing its thing. The A&P at the field thought the pump might have lost its prime, but that hasn't happened in the ~150 hours I've flown it, and it just flew a week ago.

Think positive thoughts for poor, oil-less Norbert the Champ.

Latest posts

Back