• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

oil breather tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score

I am looking for any information concerning the oil breather line from the Christen oil separator. From pics it looks like builders have used aluminum tube or aeroquip hose. I assume aluminum tube is lighter.

First question is what size tube?

Second, in Scott Rodriguez gallery, he has photos of a Christen Eagle aluminum blowby exit tube he built for his plane. Seems pretty slick. Scott or anyone, can you tell us how you made it? Here is a link to the photo-
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/displayimage.php?album=58&pos=4

On Yellowbird, there is an opening in front of the tailwheel for the blowby tube to exit. That link is here-
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/displayimage.php?album=22&pos=19
I had thought this might be a good exit for cooling cockpit air to exit the plane as well. For cooling air to come in it seems you would need an exit path other than leaks. I suppose the downside is this is an easy path for bees or other insects to enter your plane. Any opinions?

cheers,
Jim

Edited by: JimW

Latest posts

Back