• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Oil Pressure Drops When Rolling to Inverted and Again Rolling to Upright

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2e

Reaction score
I replaced all the hoses forward of the firewall. I purchased the hoses from A.E.R.O., Inc. Before I installed the hoses, I looked them over for bulges or any shaving of the inside of the hose. They all looked good.

I also did away with the “T” fitting and used the VAC-2 adapter from B&C that supplies inverted oil from the vacuum pad. I took the 3-way valve apart, cleaned it and replaced the balls with ones I purchased from Raven Aircraft. I used the old balls to stake the seat of the valve. (The problem existed before I changed to the new balls. New balls did not fix the problem.)

Then, I pulled the sump screen and the sump plug. To make sure it went back in deep enough, I measured how far the plug went in without the o-ring. Then, using new o-rings from Aviat, I installed the sump plug. I gently tapped the 10-32 rod with a small hammer to get it the plug to seat to nearly the same depth as it was without the o-rings. I could feel the o-ring seat. It wasn’t going to go any further in.

So now, I roll inverted and the oil pressure drops to 20 pounds or so and then recovers to around 70 pounds. I roll back to upright and the oil pressure drops to 20 pounds or so and then recovers to around 70 pounds. You can see the oil pressure gauge in a video here: [ame]http://youtu.be/yrpufsP4nF4[/ame]

I’m confused as to why the pressure drops and then recovers. If I had an air leak in a hose or in the sump, I wouldn’t expect it to recover. I’m also confused as to why it isn’t working at least as well as it did when I had the “T” fitting.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should try next?

Latest posts

Back