• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Oil Screen cover leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbiker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got an S-1E with a stock Lyc IO-360-B4A. Per the plans, there is a "T" shaped fitting on the back of the oil screen cover that serves double duty as a mount for the oil temp probe and a connection to the oil cooler.

After landing Friday, the firewall, belly and sides of the plane were covered in oil. I checked the level and it had blown half a quart out. I never saw a drop in oil pressure, but it could have easily gone worse.

Today, I cleaned up the engine and got everything dry. It was run up for a few minutes at a time until I could spot the source of the oil. It was leaking where the "T" fitting screws into the screen cover. This was shimmed out a bit with copper crush washers. Look like an attempt to get it to tighten up in the right position. I'm not sure how that could stay tight, since I believe it is also a pipe thread. It was also safety wired, but that still allowed enough movement to let oil blow out.

I thought this was the setup used even in the certified S-1S, but it seems like a flawed design. Can anyone who has dealt with this, let me know the best way to make a dependable repair? It seems that replacing the "T" with a 90 degree fitting that connects to the oil cooler line would solve a lot, but then I would lose the place to mount the oil temp probe. Not quite a complete solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

Latest posts

Back