• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Oil temp gauge accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
How accurate should I expect an engine gauge be? 1%? 2% 5%?

Never had any trouble with the oil temp gauge in my Hatz until yesterday, when it maxed out at 150° on a hot day when it should have been at least 190°, as it was on the previous flight. Can't think of any scenario that would make my engine run 40° colder than normal, so the gauge is kaput. It's an old Aircraft Spruce branded "Arrow" gauge that may be original to the plane.

A year ago the oil pressure gauge went and I replaced it with a Bosch automotive gauge with no problems. Today I bought the matching temp gauge, figured I'd check it in boiling water, it read 205° or slightly less when it should have been exactly 212°. So, around 3% low. I could exchange it for another one... which might be better... or might be worse.

I know, remember the offset and mark the redline appropriately. I'm just spoiled by the lab grade gauges I use at work.

Latest posts

Back