• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

One-seat, two-seat, red-seat, blue-seat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad20j

Reaction score
While I'm still waiting around for my plane to sell, I'm dreaming of building and flying a biplane, and trying to narrow down what my needs really are.

Among the principal decisions is the number of seats. I think two would be ideal, but I'm very intrigued with about single-seaters, because then I could build a fully aerobatic LSA that could get a lot of performance out of a small engine. Also, with a single seat, the designer can place the CG closer to where he wants it practically all the time, so there's one fewer compromise to handling/feel.

Would anyone care to share any insight on the one v. two seat question? E.g.,

- I'm wondering how many on the forum have even considered single seater?
- Of those who built or bought a single-seater, how often do you regret not being able to take someone along?
- Are any of you with kids building or owners ofa single-seater?

-Of those flying with two seats, how often do you use the second seat?
-Is thefeel compromised significantlyin these biplanes with one ortwo onboard?

- How many fly more than one plane b/c they love the single-seater, but sometimes want to fly with company?

I figure that I'll be building this plane for a long time, maybe even a decade, so I'd like to learn from the experience of others before settling on a design.

Thanks!
Brad

Latest posts

Back