• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Open Cockpit Comms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFSOJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As CFSOJ is showing her age in some respects, I am finding that reception issues are creeping in and deteriorating with each flight I do (Garbled, static and strength 3 at the moment but was clear and 5 previously), the transmission is still good with local ATC reporting me at strength 5. I am using an ICOM A200 radio and an AVCOMM A–2M/S, portable intercom. I am also using David Clark 10-13, with a decent wind cover.

I’ve tried to find the specs on this older intercom model, to see if it is suitable for a high-noise environment, I would love to put a canopy on SOJ, however there other issues with the regulator to sort out. I was thinking of modernizing a bit and replacing the AVCOMM with a Sigtronics 23N or SP400N, along with a set of Sigtronics S-68 headsets. I had thought of the MGL radios, Microair or Becker, however I haven’t come across much info regarding their use in open cockpits. Trig radios seem to be gaining favour these days, however, there again, very little discussion regarding high-noise environments.

My question is, what are folks without canopies using in their aircraft?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Attachments

• A46CDBB7-F672-4760-B780-E35FAA1B99DB.jpeg
    A46CDBB7-F672-4760-B780-E35FAA1B99DB.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back