• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Opinions on max size for a short fuse S1?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm 6'2"/200lbs with a slightly "elongated" torso and only medium length legs, ie my inseam is 32-33".
I recently sat in a short fuse S1, asking myself if the cockpit was big enough.
...This may seems a simple question but as I don't have much Pitts time, I was really puzzling over it. The time I do have in a Pitts is in the back of a S2 and honestly whenever I get into a Pitts it always seems a bit small.
My question is how to judge this size issue. Sitting in the S1 with a cushion under my butt and behind my lower back to simulate a parachute I found that:
1) My legs do not hit the gas tank and aren't close, but definitely my legs are not straight --I've got about a 30-35 degree bend at the knees. 2) Sitting normally, my head was just about 1/8" from the canopy and if I straightened up I could push my head into the canopy.
I was told this S1 had the seat bottom down as far as it could go, sitting right on some tubing.
The "knowledgeable" person there told me before I got in that I "was over 6' so would be too big" so I was definitely biased to think the cockpit too small. Now I'm questioning that.
Any of you out there that are 6'2" and routinely fly a S1?
Would like to make this work as I'm finding there seem to be more short fuse S1's than long fuse versions available.
Thanks for your input!

Latest posts

Back