• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Opinions Please - Gouge in spar attach

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

Just wanted your opinions. I was just filing and finishing the edges of my rear spar attach brackets before drilling. I noticed a random gouge in the metal. No idea how I did it. I have marked it bottom left in the red box. What you see is the rear spar forward and aft brackets prior to drilling and welding. I almost scrapped it, but wondered if I could sand it out, which I am able to do though it is not perfect. Question is do I scrap it and start again?? The spar attach brackets are my first pieces I am making. I have completed the front ones, but dont want to take the easy way out given this is likely going to bear some load. I remember reading in my build preparation not to have any lines or marks (not using a scribe for any markings that will remain). Will it compromise integrity?

What do you think? Scrap or continue?

IMG_1571.jpg

Latest posts

Back