• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Original S1-C horizontal stabilizer angle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lytlej

Reaction score
A relatively simple repair to a lower right wing and tail post has turned into mostly new empennage (new turtle deck, elevators, vertical fin, rudder), all per the later S-1C plans that I bought from Steen. (I also bought the original set, but it has relatively little useful information).

My question: is +2 degrees the proper angle for the original S1-C? The only rigging data I have for the horizontal stabilizer angle is +2 degrees, and that number came off the later plans, which show a symmetrical airfoil, among other things. I am keeping the flat-bottom wings. Since I also changed the hinges to strap-type and fabricated new elevators and new rear carry-through for the horizontal, the front spacers I took out gave more than +2 degrees. I had to make new ones (shorter) to get the +2 degrees. It will be a major pain to add or subtract washers after the fuselage is covered and flying, so I'd like to get it right the first time. (fyi: one regular plus one thin washer changed the angle from 1.6 degrees to 1.9 degrees. Pretty sensitive!) The airplane flew great before this rebuild project.

Hoping for a knowledgeable answer! tia.

Latest posts

Back