• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Pitts s1 header tank vent line size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normB

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm building a Pitts S1ss and would love to get your comments on what size vent line is appropriate for the header tank - main tank interconnect. I did some tests to give an idea of relative performances between two tube sizes, 1/4" or 3/8".

I assume that the aim is to support a good combination of header tank (upright flight) fill speed (fast as possible) and (inverted flight) drain speed (slow as possible), but I don't know which is more important in real life use. Below is a pick of the intended install and the header internals. The header tank vent fitting is 1/4"npt which can support the 3/8" or 1/4" pipes..

TankInstall.png

HeaderInternals.png

TankTest1.png

InvertedDrainTest.png

The best test would have been to completely plumb in the tanks to the frame and do in situ tests but - nah... This is I guess more about relative differences rather than absolute numbers.

Header Fill Tests
Based on:
- Half main tank filled with water and blue dye.
- empty header tank with inline tap between tanks and 20mm connection tube about foot long.
- tanks positioned to correct relative heights.
- Filler cap fitted
- 1/8" npt main tank Tee fitted with one end blocked (to roughly simulate actual restriction to atmosphere)

1/4" tubing
Header Fill test (upright)
1/4" vent pipe 1m long.
Time to fill 10 Litres= 56sec

3/8" tubing

Header Fill test (upright)
3/8" vent pipe 1m long.
Time to fill 10 Litres = 45sec

Header Drain Tests

Based on:
- Full header tank with water and blue dye.
- tank positioned in inverted position slightly raised front end.
- 20mm Filler neck disconnected from main tank and exposed to atmosphere

1/4" tubing
Directed vertically down 1m.
Time to drain 1 Litre = 40sec

3/8" tubing

Directed vertically down 1m.
Time to drain 1 Litre = 14sec

Supplemental test with 3/8" tubing

end of vent tubing fitted with 1/8" fitting to simulate connection to 1/8" main tank vent system.
Time to drain 1 Litre = 26sec

What would you pick? 1/4" or 3/8" ?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

regards,
Norm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back